Tuesday 29 November 2016

A Letter We Should All Write

Movie: Dear Zindagi
Director: Gauri Shinde
Producer: Red Chillies Entertainment, Dharma Productions
Language: Hindi
Actors: Alia Bhatt, Shahrukh Khan
Release Date: November 23rd, 2016
Length: 2 hrs 30min
       
           My interest in Dear Zindagi sparked after watching the trailer one day while I was flipping through channels on TV. I began viewing the promotions Alia Bhatt did for her movie on various TV programmes such as Jhalak Dikhla Ja and Koffee With Karan, and something about the way she spoke about the movie resonated within me. So, when my mother asked if I was willing to sacrifice my homework so that I could watch the movie, I said yes. I am proud to say that after watching the movie, I do not regret my decision.

           Dear Zindagi is the story of an average 23 year old girl named Caira. During her pursual of her dream to be be a cinematographer, she meets Raghuvendra, a man well connected in the film industry. Caira secures a filming job in New York with his help, and they develop a bond. However, things between them don't go too well and she travels back to her hometown in Goa.

           In Goa, she stays with her friend Jacqueline because she cannot stand living with her parents. One day, she chances upon a mental health program where she hears psychologist, Dr. Jehangir Khan, speaking about who requires mental help. She tracks him down and asks him to help her with a sleeping problem she developed after her break up with Raghuvendra,

           The rest of the movie deals with how he helps her overcome obstacles in her life. He assists Caira in solving problems in her love life, teaches her how to handle her rocky relationship with her parents, and unearths things about her personality that she herself never realised.
 
           Her journey of self discovery is heart warming, and very much relatable. I could see myself in Caira, a girl trying to sort out her own emotions, rebelliousness, prejudices, and ghosts to find her place in the world, all the while having to deal with the judging eyes of society. I thought the director picked the right person for Caira's role. Alia Bhatt has been the target of many criticisms over the past year, so I felt that the movie was a way for her to tell the world her own story of self discovery.

           The growth of Alia Bhatt as an actress, from Student of the Year to Dear Zindagi, is no less remarkable than her character's growth as a human being and woman. Her acting in previous movies seemed forced, fake, and unrealistic, whereas in this movie her emotions were open, heartfelt, and absolutely natural. In the scene where she discloses her childhood trauma to Shahrukh Khan, her pain was raw, undiluted, and filled every inch of the big screen, bringing me to tears.

           It is very rare that we see a female centred plot in the male dominated Bollywood industry. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised to see the limited role that Shakrukh Khan played in the movie. It was necessary for him to be sidelined for Caira's role to truly shine. The subtle humour that we sometimes experience in our own daily lives was captured beautifully, making you smile knowingly. The song, 'Go to Hell Dil' is going to be playing on my iPod for a long time now.

          Dear Zindagi inspired me to rethink my life and try understanding who I really am. It made me want to embrace my life and look ahead, with no baggage from my past. A letter to our own life is something we should all try to write, so why not a happy, joyful letter?

          However, not many will like this sweet story, as it lacks what Bollywood movies are known for - action, masala, and a sizzling romance. Some would even say that the movie lacked plot and a solid story. In my own family the movie received a mixed response. My highly logical father thought it was too slow and boring, but my emotional mother loved it and related her entire life to it,claiming that it solved all of her problems.

         For those of you who, like my father, look for a more suspense filled, action packed, eventful movie, Dear Zindagi would not be the right pick. If you are in that time period of your life where you are unsure about many things, it should be next on your list of movies to watch before 2016 ends. The movie follows a pace that resembles that of a book and the development of the character from the beginning to the end was also much like those in books, so book lovers, don't forget to watch it!

        The bare simplicity of the movie was endearing to me, and I am confident that Caira will stay with me for a long time to come, along with Jag's advice and one particular dialogue that I loved, "Don't let your past blackmail your present to ruin a beautiful future." So please, book your tickets immediately and go watch the movie, so that you too can write a letter to your own unique, beautiful zindagi.


         

7 comments:

  1. Well done. I am sufficiently impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sufficiently honoured and humbled by your words of praise, O great Queen of the English language.

      Delete
  2. You may or may not have convinced me to actually go watch a movie in Hindi. Wow. That has literally never happened before. I'm impressed too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really good :D
    Dear Zindagi was AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete